What causes chapped lips?
Lips can easily become dehydrated due to exposure to sun, wind, cold, and heat. As lips do not have sebaceous oil glands that produce sebum like other parts of the body, they are vulnerable to dryness and becoming cracked, chapped, or red.
Do you have chronic chapped lips or cheilitis?
Should your condition involve chronic chapped lips or an inflammation of the lips you may have a condition called Cheilitis. Severe chapped lips causes have been isolated to a medical condition of the lips involving a deficiency of Vitamin B12 or an iron deficiency. You should see your physician immediately.
Chapped lips treatment:
Below are some of the effective remedies for chapped lips that can help smooth the lips.
1. Exfoliate (peeling lips) and moisturize dry lips to keep them nourished and line free. Twice a week dab milk saturated cotton pads on lips for three minutes. Rinse and then apply Vitamin E, castor oil, or petroleum jelly. Milk contains lactic acid which exfoliates dry skin. The fat is milk is a moisturizer and is a great chapped lips remedy.
2. Apply raw, unpasteurized honey to lips and top with Vitamin E, petroleum jelly, or castor oil. Leave on overnight. Raw honey will help smooth and heal the peeling, chapped lips. Vitamin E will heal and moisturize the severely chapped lips. Petroleum jelly and castor oil will seal in the moisture.
3. To soften and smooth the dry lips combine ¼ teaspoon of honey, ¼ teaspoon of lemon juice, and ½ teaspoon of Vitamin E oil. Leave this on overnight.
4. Apply a wet, warm, black tea bag on dry cracked lips. Black tea contains tannins that soften, moisturize and heal cracked lips or dry chapped lips.
5. To smooth dry chapped lips, mix 1 teaspoon of baking soda with a few drops of water to make a paste. In a gentle circular motion rub your lips. Follow with Vitamin E, castor oil or petroleum jelly.
6. Choose lip balms and lip sticks that contain SPF 15 and hydrating ingredients such as cocoa and shea butter, honey, beeswax, glycerine, castor, primrose, olive or almond oil. Egyptian magic is an all purpose healing balm that contains honey as well as other healing ingredients. Egyptian Magic helps smooth and heal chapped, cracked lips, help calm rashes, blemishes, heal burns and more. Buzz Lip Honey is another honey and wax based stick that helps smooth chapped lips.
7. The wax base of Chapstick provides an excellent base for smooth lipstick application. It also helps protect lips from chapping with its smooth coating.
8. Burt’s Bees Lip Shimmer provides UV protection and is available in a nice assortment of colors that contain Vitamin E and titanium oxide.
9. Nanak’s All Natural Skin Repair is a new find. It makes my lips rosy and moisturizes.
Here are my Beauty Tips and Tricks for you to enjoy reading:
- 7 Tips for Beautiful Lips
- Anti Aging 5 Minute Make-Up Application
- Get Fabulous Nails With A Food Fix
- How To Cure Chapped Lips
- Teeth whitening for under $5 bucks
Look and Feel Your Best On Any Budget: Copyright 2007,2011 Louisa Maccan Graves
Beauty Recipes and Tips That Really Work” Copyright 2007,2011 Louisa Maccan Graves
Hollywood Beauty Secrets Remedies To the Rescue: Copyright 2007,2011 Louisa Maccan Graves